EUGENE, Ore. - A Eugene man who jumped into the Willamette River to flee a state trooper didn't swim far before he said he was drowning and returned to shore.
The Oregon State Police says 25-year-old Coty Hartman was taken into custody Saturday on an outstanding felony warrant for first-degree burglary.
Hartman was fishing near the Beltline Bridge in Eugene when a trooper cited him for a fishing violation. While issuing the citation, the trooper learned there was he was wanted on a warrant out of Lane County.
Police say Hartman then ran from the trooper and jumped into the river. After a short time, Hartman told the trooper he was drowning and came back to shore.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults