RICHLAND, Wash. - Energy Northwest is paying a record of nearly $4.4 million in privilege taxes to the state of Washington.
The annual tax is levied on public power utilities for the privilege of generating electricity in the state.
Energy Northwest, operator of the only nuclear power plant in the state, paid its tax on Monday.
The amount is tied to the amount of electricity generated.
The Columbia Generating Station's production of nearly 8.5 million megawatt-hours last year significantly contributed to the record-breaking privilege tax paid by Energy Northwest.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults