WENATCHEE, Wash. - Police say an elderly Wenatchee couple is dead following a murder-suicide.
The bodies of 81-year-old Charles L. Mason and his 97-year-old wife, Ruth Mason, were discovered Friday afternoon in their car, parked in the garage of their condominium.
There was a semi-automatic handgun in Charles Mason's lap.
KPQ-AM reports that notes and other items found in the home indicate the husband planned the killing, but it isn't clear whether the wife knew about it or was a willing participant.
The time of death was not immediately known, but investigators believe the shootings happened Friday morning. Autopsies were planned.
Washington Elementary School nearby was on lock down for a short time Friday while officers checked the area and determined that a gunman was not at large.
- Private plowers celebrating winter weather
- Providence Health Care restricting visitors to combat flu season
- Statuses updated for injured Bonner deputies, suspected shooter
- Spokane Public Schools explains decision to hold class Wednesday
- Spokane crews working to fight potential floods
- Police investigate north Spokane shooting