RIGBY, Idaho - A 24-year-old eastern Idaho man who shot and killed another man outside a girl's 15th birthday party has been sentenced to life in prison.
Emmanuel Jesus Granados of Rigby received the sentence Monday in 7th District Court. He must serve at least 20 years before becoming eligible for parole.
Granados pleaded guilty to second-degree murder on Feb. 20 in the July 14 shooting death of 22-year-old Fermin Lemus outside the Rigby Indoor Sports Arena.
Granados says he shot Lemus because he feared for his own life.
After the shooting Granados fled but police arrested him a short time later in southwestern Utah.
Family members say Lemus' daughter was born after Lemus' death.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home