BOISE, Idaho - A border collie mix named Jasper finishing up a walk with his owners in the Boise foothills died after jumping into an unmarked ditch containing geothermal water.
Paul Whitworth and Carrie Semmelroth say Jasper yelped after leaping into the 170-degree water on Sunday and died quickly after.
The exposed hot springs sits near a trailhead parking lot at the end of East Old Penitentiary Road.
The Boise Warm Springs Water District says a pump station supplies the heated water to hundreds of customers and it normally doesn't overflow the ditch.
Water Board Chairman Patrick Frischmuth tells KBOI-TV that the district is working with the city to store the heated water underground.
Meanwhile, a fence and signs have been put near the ditch to warn passers-by.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home