Medford, OR - A sheriff's deputy driving by a south Medford house saw fire and rescued an 88-year-old woman and her three dogs.
The Medford Mail Tribune reports that Deputy Brendan Dodge banged on the front door Saturday night and when he got no response broke it open.
Inside he found Margret Schwartz asleep. Once awakened, she said, there was so much smoke she thought there was a glaze over her eyes.
She wasn't hurt. She salvaged some belongings, and is staying with her son.
Brian Fish of the Medford fire department says the fire started near the garage and burned through the roof above it. He says determining the cause and estimating the damage will require an investigation.
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car
- Don't leave valuable property in your car