KELSO, Wash. - The deputy Cowlitz County coroner who took nearly $12,000 from a dead man's bank account is serving a 45-day jail sentence.
Jeffrey Wayne Hart of Castle Rock pleaded guilty last month to identity theft and official misconduct. He reported to jail Nov. 16. His sentence allows the 44-year-old Castle Rock man to serve part of his time in work release so he can look for a new job.
The Daily News reports Hart also must pay nearly $12,000 restitution to the family of a 65-year-old Longview man who died in June. Hart went to his apartment for a death investigation and took his debit card.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives