KELSO, Wash. - The deputy Cowlitz County coroner who took nearly $12,000 from a dead man's bank account is serving a 45-day jail sentence.
Jeffrey Wayne Hart of Castle Rock pleaded guilty last month to identity theft and official misconduct. He reported to jail Nov. 16. His sentence allows the 44-year-old Castle Rock man to serve part of his time in work release so he can look for a new job.
The Daily News reports Hart also must pay nearly $12,000 restitution to the family of a 65-year-old Longview man who died in June. Hart went to his apartment for a death investigation and took his debit card.
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position