MISSOULA, Mont. - The father of a slain 17-year-old exchange student has departed Montana after arranging for his son's body to be flown back to Germany.
German consulate spokeswoman Julia Reinhardt says Celal Dede flew out of Missoula on Thursday morning and Diren Dede's body was transported Wednesday afternoon.
Reinhardt says the family will hold a memorial service in Hamburg before a burial in Turkey.
Diren Dede was killed early Sunday in the garage of a Missoula homeowner. Markus Kaarma has been charged with deliberate homicide after prosecutors say he fired four shots into the dark garage without warning.
Kaarma plans to plead not guilty and says he was afraid for his life.
Celal Dede criticized the U.S. gun culture during his brief stay to secure the release of the body.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line