SEATTLE - The daughter of a hiker reported missing on Mount Rainier says she was notified of her mother's death over the weekend.
Annette Shirey says park officials told her on Saturday that they had discovered Karen Sykes' body.
The 70-year-old Sykes had been hiking with her boyfriend on Wednesday in the Owyhigh Lakes area on the east side of the mountain when they encountered snow on the trail at about 5,000 feet. Friends and park officials say he stopped and she went on.
Sykes was prominent in the Northwest hiking community for her trail reviews and photographs, for her book on hiking in western Washington and for leading group outings.
Shirey says her mother had developed a personal connection to the mountain and wanted to share that love with others.
- Ferguson files lawsuit over sexual harassment of farmworkers
- Man ejected from truck found dead at scene
- Escaped inmate located and taken into custody
- 4 Things To Know For April 26
- Spokane family knows first hand high demand for behavioral health services
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns