FRIDAY HARBOR, Wash. - CenturyLink says its crews have found a severed cable that caused a network telephone outage on the San Juan Islands.
The company said in a release Monday that crews still don't know what caused the break in the underwater fiber-optic cable, but that it may have been earthquake that took place three minutes before CenturyLink's first alarm notification.
The San Juan County Council declared a state of emergency last Friday as residents on San Juan, Lopez and Orcas islands dealt with spotty telephone and internet service or total outages.
CenturyLink says it plans to assess how far the damage is within the cable and is already looking at where to lay new cable.
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position