FRIDAY HARBOR, Wash. - CenturyLink says its crews have found a severed cable that caused a network telephone outage on the San Juan Islands.
The company said in a release Monday that crews still don't know what caused the break in the underwater fiber-optic cable, but that it may have been earthquake that took place three minutes before CenturyLink's first alarm notification.
The San Juan County Council declared a state of emergency last Friday as residents on San Juan, Lopez and Orcas islands dealt with spotty telephone and internet service or total outages.
CenturyLink says it plans to assess how far the damage is within the cable and is already looking at where to lay new cable.
- City Council approves $1.75m loan for Ridpath Redevelopment
- Mail Theft Ring Suspect Arrested
- City working to fill potholes despite poor road conditions
- Wrongful death lawsuit over case of Brenda Thurman still unresolved
- Post Falls company under fire for racist image
- Officer not charged in May 2016 shooting