PORTLAND, Ore. - A team of counselors is available at a Hillsboro middle school to help students and staff members grieving the loss of a 13-year-old boy who drowned.
Michael Garcia-Ixtacua was one of four family members who drowned Monday at Henry Hagg Lake, a popular swimming spot west of Portland.
Evergreen Middle School principal Rian Petrick said the counselors were to be on hand until 3 p.m. Wednesday, and support will also be available when students return next week for the new school year.
Michael was getting ready to start the 8th grade.
His mother, sister and uncle also died Monday. No one saw what happened, and law enforcement officials said they found no sign of foul play.
The lake reopened Wednesday.
- Update: Northern Idaho authorities clear deputy in fatal crash
- One person killed in early morning house fire
- Viral video features Spokane area airmen being blocked by protesters
- 92-year-old man attempts snow shoeing for first time
- Thousands participate in Spokane Women's March
- Thousands turn out for Women's March on Spokane