PORT ORCHARD, Wash. - Kitsap County prosecutors say a 17-year-old accused in the rape and killing of 6-year-old Jenise Wright will be evaluated next week to see if he's competent to stand trial.
The Kitsap Sun reports Gabriel Gaeta made a brief appearance in Kitsap County Superior Court on Thursday. At that hearing, Deputy Prosecutor Kelly Montgomery told Judge Jennifer Forbes that Gaeta will be evaluated by doctors Tuesday to determine if he understands the charges against him and can assist lawyers in his defense.
He has been held in the Kitsap County Juvenile Detention Center on $1 million bail since his arrest Aug. 9.
He's being held on investigation of first-degree murder and first-degree child rape. Once the competency evaluation is complete, prosecutors will make a decision on charging him.
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car
- Don't leave valuable property in your car