ASOTIN, Wash. - A 20-year-old Clarkston man pleaded guilty Thursday in connection with a fatal wreck west of Clarkston in July that claimed the life of a Lewiston girl.
As part of a plea agreement, Gilberto Alex Garcia pleaded guilty to vehicular homicide and vehicular assault.
Garcia was driving a 2002 Chevy pickup on Mail Route Road west of Silcott Wye Road at about 10:40 p.m. on July 21 when it rolled, ejecting 16-year-old Ashley Nelson. She died at the scene. Another 17-year-old girl was also injured in the crash.
Several people addressed the court, including Nelson's father, Doug Nelson, who held up a picture of his daughter and told Garcia that he has "taken something so precious from our whole family."
Garcia told the court that he wants "to take full responsibility for my actions," which Asotin County Superior Court Judge William Acey said he respected.
Acey sentenced Garcia to the state recommendation of 26 months in prison for count one and 12 months in prison for count two. He also ordered Garcia to have 18 months of supervision upon his release from prison.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River