LONGVIEW, Wash. - The Kelso-Longview Ministerial Association says it will no longer provide invocations for Longview City Council meetings because the mayor asked them not to mention Jesus Christ.
Association President Mark Schmutz told The Daily News the ministers can't ignore Jesus in their prayers.
Mayor Don Jensen asked the ministers to drop Christ from the invocations because it could expose the city to a lawsuit.
A Christian invocation has started Longview City Council meetings since the 1950s. There was no invocation at last week's meeting.
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car
- Don't leave valuable property in your car