Helena, MT - The 2014 campaign season is officially underway with the opening of the candidate filing period with the Montana Secretary of State's Office.
This year's election will decide open seats in both the U.S. House and Senate along with a slate of state legislative offices.
Two legislative hopefuls were already lined up outside Secretary Linda McCulloch's office with paperwork and $15 filing fees in hand when she opened her doors at 8 a.m. Thursday.
A record 155 candidates filed for office on the first day in 2012.
McCulloch says because this is a midterm election, she does not expect those kinds of numbers this year.
The filing period runs until March 10 and filing can be done in person, by mail or online.
- Spokane police officer saves woman from burning car
- Update: Northern Idaho authorities clear deputy in fatal crash
- One person killed in early morning house fire
- Viral video features Spokane area airmen being blocked by protesters
- 92-year-old man attempts snow shoeing for first time
- Thousands participate in Spokane Women's March