PUYALLUP, Wash. - Police and firefighters say hundreds of butane canisters exploded like the sound of a commercial Fourth of July fireworks display as fire erupted at a Puyallup house where marijuana was illegally being processed into hash oil.
The first officer at the scene Tuesday night, Capt. Scott Engle, took cover behind his car because of the spray-can size canisters flying through the air and shrapnel.
Engle says about 10 people fled the home and no one was injured. Police questioned four people and jailed one on suspicion of manufacturing a controlled substance.
The processing operation was taking place under a canopy outside the L-shaped home. Fire burned the exterior of the home and a car.
Central Pierce Fire and Rescue is still at the scene Wednesday because of hazardous materials.
- CDA students fuse technology, creativity and garner international attention
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car