LILLIWAUP, Wash. - A Mason County sheriff's spokesman says a 12-year-old boy was struck and killed by a falling tree while hiking in the Olympic National Forest.
Detective William Adam says the boy was struck in the head and died Saturday. He was hiking with his father on the popular Lower Lena Lake trail in a remote forested area about 40 miles north of Shelton.
The boy's father called 911 Saturday morning to report that his son suffered a major head injury.
Responders from three counties worked to get up the mountain to reach the boy.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River