BOISE, Idaho - A Boise man who pleaded guilty to failing to report a motorized scooter crash that critically injured his passenger has been sentenced to a year in jail.
Fourth District Judge Patrick Owen also ordered Thomas MacFarlane to spend 20 years on probation for the July 2013 crash that injured 30-year-old Mirika Bideganeta. She suffered a head injury that put her into a coma.
During Friday's sentencing hearing, Bideganeta said she suffered life-changing injuries and that it was inhumane of MacFarlane not to report the crash.
Prosecutors say MacFarlane thought Bideganeta had died. He carried her more than a block away from the crash site and laid her down behind some bushes. She was found hours later.
The amount of restitution is to be determined later, but KTVB-TV reports Bideganeta's medical bills are around $200,000.
- Ferguson files lawsuit over sexual harassment of farmworkers
- Man ejected from truck found dead at scene
- Escaped inmate located and taken into custody
- 4 Things To Know For April 26
- Spokane family knows first hand high demand for behavioral health services
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns