BOISE, Idaho - Police in Boise say scammers are paying homeless people to sign up for cellphone contracts and then selling the phones while bills build up on the homeless person's account.
Officer Tom Shuler tells KTVB-TV that he's been warning homeless people about the scam.
He says one woman who fell for the scam now has $5,000 worth of cellphone bills.
Shuler says those bills could be making it difficult for her to get housing.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults