FERNDALE, Wash. - Firefighters say they found a body inside a two-story Ferndale, Wash., house that was destroyed by flames.
The Bellingham Herald reports the body was sent to the medical examiner's office for identification and an autopsy.
Whatcom County Fire District 7 Assistant Chief Larry Hoffman says a Border Patrol agent in the area spotted the fire late Wednesday night and banged on the door. She got no response and called firefighters.
Fire officials say crews put as much water as possible on the house but water had to be trucked in because there were no nearby hydrants.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass closed all day, night
- Man killed in weekend officer-involved shooting identified
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting