BEND, Ore. - A Bend man accused of killing a houseguest after a drunken Super Bowl Sunday has been convicted of murder.
KTVZ-TV reports that 33-year-old Luke Anton Wirkkala faces a life sentence. That could mean the possibility of parole after 25 years.
Sentencing is July 14.
Wirkkala was accused of killing 31-year-old David Ryder with a shotgun blast to the neck. The two spent the Sunday in February 2013 drinking at a bar and watching the game, and then went to Wirkkala's home. The jury rendered its verdict Monday.
A prosecutor said Wirkkala was angry, perhaps because Ryder rejected sexual advances or because Ryder was considering moving from the area.
Defense lawyers said Ryder forced Wirkkala to perform oral sex, and Wirkkala fired when Ryder advanced at him.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday