BEND, Ore. - A Bend man accused of killing a houseguest after a drunken Super Bowl Sunday has been convicted of murder.
KTVZ-TV reports that 33-year-old Luke Anton Wirkkala faces a life sentence. That could mean the possibility of parole after 25 years.
Sentencing is July 14.
Wirkkala was accused of killing 31-year-old David Ryder with a shotgun blast to the neck. The two spent the Sunday in February 2013 drinking at a bar and watching the game, and then went to Wirkkala's home. The jury rendered its verdict Monday.
A prosecutor said Wirkkala was angry, perhaps because Ryder rejected sexual advances or because Ryder was considering moving from the area.
Defense lawyers said Ryder forced Wirkkala to perform oral sex, and Wirkkala fired when Ryder advanced at him.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives