BELLINGHAM, Wash. - A Bellingham man charged with trying to kill his estranged wife's new boyfriend on Valentine's Day has been sentenced to 13 years in prison.
The Bellingham Herald reports that 44-year-old Patrick Allen Leach was sentenced Monday after pleading guilty to attempted murder as part of a plea deal.
Authorities say Leach drove to where his wife was staying at an apartment complex with a stolen shotgun on Feb. 14, 2015.
The wife and her boyfriend wrestled with Leach over the loaded weapon until police arrived.
Leach's attorney, Starck Follis, had argued that his client previously suffered a traumatic brain injury, which he said had a direct bearing on his plan to kill the boyfriend.
Leach apologized in court, saying he now realizes the severity of the crime.
- Potholes keeping Spokane crews busy
- Federal judge says he is inclined to let lawsuit proceed
- Senator to reporter: "None of your business" when education plan will be ready
- Stripper pleads guilty to running multi-state drug ring
- Study: Idaho natural gas and oil taxes below many states
- I-90 semi crash closes westbound lanes