TACOMA, Wash. - A man from Uruguay who spent six months backpacking around the United States is jailed for over-extending his visit by 30 minutes.
Diego Simonassi was trying to enter Canada on his last day on June 14 when he was turned back at the Peace Arch crossing because he didn't have a visa.
It was 30 minutes past midnight when he asked U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for help. Agents arrested him, and he's been held at the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma ever since.
An immigration lawyer, Steve Tanijo, told KOMO it's a "ridiculous" situation. A bond hearing is two weeks away and a hearing to dismiss the case has not been set.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday