TACOMA, Wash. - A man from Uruguay who spent six months backpacking around the United States is jailed for over-extending his visit by 30 minutes.
Diego Simonassi was trying to enter Canada on his last day on June 14 when he was turned back at the Peace Arch crossing because he didn't have a visa.
It was 30 minutes past midnight when he asked U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for help. Agents arrested him, and he's been held at the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma ever since.
An immigration lawyer, Steve Tanijo, told KOMO it's a "ridiculous" situation. A bond hearing is two weeks away and a hearing to dismiss the case has not been set.
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital