LEWISTON, Idaho - A northern Idaho man who died while an inmate at the Nez Perce County Detention Center in Lewiston has been identified as Chad Vincent Gardner, 19, of Coeur d'Alene.
Idaho State Police Sgt. Vernon Grotjohn said an autopsy was conducted Monday with the preliminary autopsy report possibly ready by Thursday.
Authorities said Gardner was found alone in his cell Saturday morning just after midnight by a deputy doing routine cell checks.
Deputies and medical responders attempted first-aid but Gardner was declared dead at the scene.
The Idaho State Police Critical Incident Team is investigating the death.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults