LEWISTON, Idaho - A northern Idaho man who died while an inmate at the Nez Perce County Detention Center in Lewiston has been identified as Chad Vincent Gardner, 19, of Coeur d'Alene.
Idaho State Police Sgt. Vernon Grotjohn said an autopsy was conducted Monday with the preliminary autopsy report possibly ready by Thursday.
Authorities said Gardner was found alone in his cell Saturday morning just after midnight by a deputy doing routine cell checks.
Deputies and medical responders attempted first-aid but Gardner was declared dead at the scene.
The Idaho State Police Critical Incident Team is investigating the death.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday