SEATTLE, Wash. - An animal-rights group has filed a federal complaint with the U.S. Department of Agriculture against an Everett research lab over the deaths of 25 monkeys shipped to Washington.
The Seattle Times reports the Ohio-based group, Stop Animal Exploitation Now, says in its complaint that SNBL USA should be punished for allowing the animals to die or become so weak they had to be euthanized.
SNBL reports the animals arrived in Houston from Cambodia thirsty and thin. Some were taken to a facility in Texas and others were loaded into trucks for the nearly three-day trip to Everett.
Five died in transit and another 20 died or were euthanized shortly after arrival.
A company officer said Monday they were devastated when this happened because SNBL takes animal care very seriously.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults