BREMERTON, Wash. - Families of sailors in Bremerton awaited the return Friday afternoon of the aircraft carrier John C. Stennis.
Its 3,000 sailors are completing an eight-month, 66,000 mile deployment to the western Pacific. Aircraft from its deck flew more than 1,300 sorties in direct support of fighting in Afghanistan.
The Kitsap Sun reports the Stennis had made a quick turnaround and was in port for just five months last month after its previous seven-month deployment to the Middle East. So, some families have been apart for 15 of the past 20 months.
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position
- National Weather Service issues Ice Storm Warning for Grant County
- Thousands turn out for MLK march