BREMERTON, Wash. - Families of sailors in Bremerton awaited the return Friday afternoon of the aircraft carrier John C. Stennis.
Its 3,000 sailors are completing an eight-month, 66,000 mile deployment to the western Pacific. Aircraft from its deck flew more than 1,300 sorties in direct support of fighting in Afghanistan.
The Kitsap Sun reports the Stennis had made a quick turnaround and was in port for just five months last month after its previous seven-month deployment to the Middle East. So, some families have been apart for 15 of the past 20 months.
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up
- Local school district tackles '13 Reasons Why'
- Humane Society volunteer wins award for shelter