LAKEWOOD, Wash. - Six police dogs in Washington have been equipped with protective vests thanks to donations through a Massachusetts organization.
The Lakewood Police Department has new vests for Koda and Ranger. The department says other vests were donated for two dogs with the Kent department and two dogs with the Okanogan County sheriff's office.
The vests come from the Vested Interest in K9s charity based in East Taunton, Massachusetts.
In November a Kent K9 named Kato was stabbed while tracking a suspect and survived after surgery. A police dog named Mick was killed last month in Portland in a shooting in which an officer was wounded.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives