Gallatin County, MT - Five people were caught in weekend avalanches in the mountains of western Montana and one woman suffered a broken leg.
The Gallatin County sheriff's office says a 35-year-old woman suffered a broken leg on Sunday after she was caught in an avalanche near Big Sky in southwestern Montana. The woman was with a group of back country skiers who triggered the slide. She was carried down the mountain and ended up partially buried and pinned against a tree.
On Saturday, a snowmobiler triggered an avalanche near Whitefish Mountain Resort that partially buried four people. The Flathead Avalanche Center says all four made it out of the area safely.
The slide was about 900 feet wide and ran 700 feet downhill. Debris at the base was about 6 feet deep.
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position