FORKS, Wash. - A Clallam County judge has set $300,000 bail for a Forks woman accused of killing a 2-year-old boy in her care.
The Peninsula Daily News reports 44-year-old Ramona Ward faces possible charges of homicide by abuse or second-degree murder.
Investigators say medical staff at Forks Community Hospital and Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where the boy died Friday, identified injuries consistent with a pattern of abuse and neglect.
Clallam County deputy prosecutor Michele Devlin says the boy was "systematically abused for a period of months in her care."
Defense attorney Harry Gasnick argued for a lower bail in Clallam County Superior Court Monday, saying Ward had no violent criminal history.
Investigators say the boy was related to Ward but was not her son.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday