FOX ISLAND, Wash. - The Pierce County sheriff's office says a man and his 8-year-old daughter are presumed dead in a fire that burned their waterfront home on Fox Island.
Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer says the man is an emergency room doctor who was a commissioned reserve deputy.
The fire was reported at 11:10 p.m. Wednesday. The man's wife and two other children made it out of the home with the help of a neighbor.
Troyer says the man and the 8-year-old daughter did not make it out of the house.
The fire was still burning six hours later. Firefighters from Gig Harbor kept the flames from spreading to nearby houses, their water freezing in the cold.
As a reserve deputy, Troyer says, the doctor responded with SWAT teams to provide medical care in emergencies.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults