WILKESON, Wash. - Two people were killed and one hospitalized after an accident on an excavator near a logging site in Pierce County.
The News Tribune reports the crash happened Thursday night after the trio went drinking at a nearby bar and then decided it would be fun to go for a ride on the excavator where the man who was injured works.
The Pierce County sheriff's department says the 35-year-old from Carson, Oregon, was taken to a hospital with serious injuries and is expected to live.
Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer says the crash happened on a gravel road about 12 miles from Wilkeson.
During the ride, the man accidentally drove the excavator down a steep embankment. The driver was able to jump off, but the man and woman he met at the bar remained inside as the heavy machinery tumbled down the hill.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday