PILCHUCK FALLS, Wash. - A search and rescue worker has died trying to save another man who fell 100 feet at Pilchuck Falls in western Washington.
Skagit County authorities tell KOMO-TV the hiker also died Saturday night. A friend who got in trouble himself while trying to rescue the 25-year-old hiker was rescued.
The accident happened about 36 miles northwest of Seattle when the two men were separated from their hiking group and tried to make their way down to the falls near Lake Cavanaugh.
A Skagit County Search and Rescue team was training nearby and responded to their call for help. As the volunteer group tried to reach the two men, a 61-year-old volunteer fell and died.
The names of the victims have not been released.
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position