PILCHUCK FALLS, Wash. - A search and rescue worker has died trying to save another man who fell 100 feet at Pilchuck Falls in Skagit County.
Snohomish County authorities told KIRO-TV the hiker also died Saturday night. A friend who got in trouble himself while trying to rescue the 25-year-old was rescued.
The accident happened when the two men were separated from their hiking group and tried to make their way down to the falls near Lake Cavanaugh.
A Skagit County Search and Rescue team was training nearby and responded to their call for help. As the volunteer group tried to reach the two men, a 61-year-old volunteer fell and died.
Skagit County officials say their recovery efforts will continue on Sunday.
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday
- 80-year-old woman dies in northern Idaho house fire
- Mexico club shooting: Spokane woman one of the injured
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force