KENNEWICK, Wash. - Two Benton Public Utility District linemen were disciplined for failing to make sure a downed power line was safe for a firefighter.
The utility says they didn't see an energized line because they didn't get out of their truck.
A volunteer firefighter was shocked as he sprayed water on a small wildfire started by the downed line Feb. 12 at Finley. The firefighter, 22-year-old Ty Schoenwald, has recovered.
Officials told PUD commissioners Friday the two linemen were given a week's suspension without pay, a one-month demotion and a three-year probationary period.
The Tri-City Herald reports the two linemen will share their experience in safety outreach programs with other emergency responders.
- 4 Things To Know For April 26
- Spokane family knows first hand high demand for behavioral health services
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up