ANACONDA, Mont. - A former nurse convicted of having sex with a man in the custody of a state corrections program has been sentenced to 25 years in prison with 10 suspended.
District Judge Ray Dayton of Anaconda sentenced 45-year-old Tisha Ann Brunell on Wednesday. She maintained her innocence.
Jurors listened to hours of phone sex calls between Brunell and two inmates in March, including discussion of sex acts that happened at the Sanction, Treatment, Assessment, Revocation and Transition, or START program. She was convicted of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent. People in state custody cannot legally consent to sex.
Brunell also was convicted of transferring illegal items to inmates, was found guilty of dozens of misdemeanor counts of unauthorized communication and later pleaded guilty to tampering with evidence for trying to convince a witness not to testify.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line