BURLEY, Idaho - The Cassia County Sheriff's Office in south-central Idaho is offering free instruction for enhanced concealed carry gun permits.
Sheriff Jay Heward tells The Times-News that so many residents are interested he decided to offer the eight-hour class for free.
The course taken elsewhere can cost $150. The enhanced permit is honored in Nevada, Washington, New Mexico, Virginia and South Carolina.
The course includes safety instruction and requires each student to shoot 100 rounds on a gun range under the instruction of police.
The instructor, Lt. Kevin Horak, says the course is about being safe and knowing what is expected if a person chooses to carry a concealed weapon.
The Sheriff's office held its first course Saturday and plans to hold three more this year.
- CDA students fuse technology, creativity and garner international attention
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car