TACOMA, Wash. - A woman was sentenced to six months in confinement for raping a 12-year-old boy who was one of her students at a Tacoma middle school.
Keshia Shaw was sentenced Tuesday in Pierce County Superior Court and given credit for four months served in jail since pleading guilty in October to child rape.
Judge John McCarthy said Shaw could serve two remaining months under home monitoring if the Department of Corrections agrees. Shaw says she needs treatment for multiple sclerosis she can't receive in jail.
KOMO reports she'll also receive sex offender treatment.
Shaw was a sixth-grade math and science teacher at Tacoma's Gray Middle School. She abused a student for a year-and-a-half beginning in 2007. He told his mother and a family friend about it in 2012.
- I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass closed all day, night
- Man killed in weekend officer-involved shooting identified
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting