POCATELLO, Idaho - A man who led southeastern Idaho law enforcement officers on a chase after a hit-and-run was shot and injured by a Bannock County deputy.
The sheriff's office says the Fort Hall man, who is in his 30s, was shot after trying to ram officers and their cars at the end of the chase. The suspect was hospitalized in serious condition at a Salt Lake City hospital. His name has not been released.
Sheriff Lorin Nielsen says the chase began at about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday when a deputy spotted the vehicle suspected in the hit-and-run. Other deputies and Fort Hall police joined the pursuit. The vehicle slowed to a stop on a dirt road after it ran over spike strips.
Officers said as they approached the vehicle, the suspect tried to ram them and their vehicles.
- City Council approves $1.75m loan for Ridpath Redevelopment
- Mail Theft Ring Suspect Arrested
- City working to fill potholes despite poor road conditions
- Wrongful death lawsuit over case of Brenda Thurman still unresolved
- Post Falls company under fire for racist image
- Officer not charged in May 2016 shooting