POCATELLO, Idaho - A man who led southeastern Idaho law enforcement officers on a chase after a hit-and-run was shot and injured by a Bannock County deputy.
The sheriff's office says the Fort Hall man, who is in his 30s, was shot after trying to ram officers and their cars at the end of the chase. The suspect was hospitalized in serious condition at a Salt Lake City hospital. His name has not been released.
Sheriff Lorin Nielsen says the chase began at about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday when a deputy spotted the vehicle suspected in the hit-and-run. Other deputies and Fort Hall police joined the pursuit. The vehicle slowed to a stop on a dirt road after it ran over spike strips.
Officers said as they approached the vehicle, the suspect tried to ram them and their vehicles.
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position