SANDPOINT, Idaho - A woman with luggage was found dead early Thursday along railroad tracks near the Amtrak depot in Sandpoint.
Burlington Northern Santa Fe spokesman Gus Melonas says the body was spotted by a train crew. Investigators are checking with the crew of two previous trains that may have hit her.
There is no crossing in the area where the body was spotted just before 3 a.m. about 200 feet west of the depot. The track was closed about three hours for an investigation.
The Idaho State Police identified the victim as 28-year-old Erin Likkel of Huntsville, Ala. Police say she had been walking along the tracks when she was struck by a BNSF train.
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position