SANDPOINT, Idaho - A woman with luggage was found dead early Thursday along railroad tracks near the Amtrak depot in Sandpoint.
Burlington Northern Santa Fe spokesman Gus Melonas says the body was spotted by a train crew. Investigators are checking with the crew of two previous trains that may have hit her.
There is no crossing in the area where the body was spotted just before 3 a.m. about 200 feet west of the depot. The track was closed about three hours for an investigation.
The Idaho State Police identified the victim as 28-year-old Erin Likkel of Huntsville, Ala. Police say she had been walking along the tracks when she was struck by a BNSF train.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River