COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Two children seriously burned by a backyard fire in Coeur d'Alene on Saturday have been flown to Harborview Medical Center for treatment of their injuries.
According to the Coeur d'Alene Police Deparment, emergency responders were called to a duplex in the 1400 block of Norlyn Ct. Saturday at 5 p.m. A 35-year-old Coeur d'Alene man was pouring gasoline onto a fire pit when he saw the gas can catch fire.
The man threw the gas can approximately five feet behind him when it exploded, engulfing an 8-year-old boy and 4-year-old girl in flames.
The girl's father, who was sitting on his back deck on the other side of the duplex saw what happened, jumped over the chain link fence separating the two yards and ran to his daughter's aid and put out the fire.
The boy suffered burned over 20-percent of his body while the girl suffered burns over 35-percent of her body. Both were loaded into ambulances by Coeur d'Alene Fire EMTs, transported to Kootenai Health and from there flown to Harborview.
Detectives interviewed the 35-year-old man who threw the gas can which exploded and he was reportedly cooperative with them. Police say a report was taken for injury to a child but no formal charges have been filed as of Monday.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River