Coeur d'Alene Police have arrested a sexual assault suspect after a nine hour standoff on Monday.
31-year-old Michael Nixon's niece says she was sexually assaulted by her uncle at a home on 2023 N. 7th Street in Coeur d'Alene. Police say she was held against her will for several hours and was able to flee the home to tell someone after Nixon fell asleep.
The female victim was transported to the Kootenai Medical Center with serious but non-life threatening injuries. Police say the female victim is a minor.
Police tried to make contact with Nixon but he was not cooperating. They used every resource, including the SWAT team, to try to get Nixon to surrender to police.
The SWAT team eventually made entry inside the home and found Nixon hiding in the basement shortly before 10 p.m. on Monday.
"Methodically and slowly you are going to do the best you can to locate them in the safest manner and the outcome was the best we could have hoped for," Lt. Rob Turner with the Coeur d'Alene Police said.
Nixon was taken into police custody. Police say he had self-inflicted wounds and was transported to the hospital to be checked out.
Nixon is now facing rape and kidnapping charges.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday