KELLOGG, Idaho - The Silver Valley is in mourning Tuesday as one of their own was killed in a mining accident at the Sunshine Mine Monday afternoon.
A family friend confirmed to KXLY the miner killed was Nick Rounds, a 1996 graduate of Wallace High School. They also confirmed that Rounds' dad was at the mine at the time of the accident.
The Mining Safety and Health Administration reports around 2 p.m. Monday Rounds and another miner were on top of a skip while working in the mineshaft. They were getting ready to move the skip but it moved before Rounds was clear and he was caught between the skip and the mineshaft.
Rounds was killed while the other miner was uninjured.
At the mine Monday afternoon employees congregated in small groups before leaving the mine. In Kellogg, news traveled fast as those who knew miners or had family members at the Sunshine Mine were lamenting the loss of one of their own. The mood was somber at local establishments as word spread of the tragedy that happened underground.
MSHA officials have been dispatched to the mine to investigate the incident.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River