North Idaho

Secret Service arrests Kyle Odom at White House

Odom arrested by USSS after throwing items onto White House grounds

Secret Service arrests Kyle Odom at White House

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Shooting suspect Kyle Odom has been arrested in Washington, DC, by members of the Secret Service after he was spotted throwing objects onto the White House lawn.

CNN confirmed Odom was arrested by Secret Service agents at approximately 8:30 p.m. Eastern Time.

The objects were considered suspicious and several DC law enforcement agencies, including the fire department and an Explosive Ordinance Disposal team, are searching his vehicle, according to a USSS source, who reported the arrest to CNN's Peter Morris.

The FBI is also on the scene assisting with the criminal investigation, working to determine when Odom arrived in DC and his movements over the last several days since he fled Coeur d'Alene following the shooting Sunday afternoon.

Federal officials were originally concerned that Odom managed to cross the country in the last two days without being spotted. There are license plate readers deployed on the outskirts of Washington, DC, that should trigger alarms if there is anyone on a BOLO (Be On The Lookout) alert, as Odom was in this case. However, his cross-country trip wasn't done by car; it was done by commercial airline, raising more concerns.

Coeur d'Alene Police Chief Lee White said that Odom drove from Coeur d'Alene to Boise and caught a flight in Boise and traveled across the country to Washington, DC. It's not known, White said, how Odom, who had an active felony warrant for his arrest, was able to purchase a ticket and fly across the country.

Odom's car was found in Boise and is being processed by law enforcement agencies there, White said, adding that Odom did not have a firearm in his possession at the time of his arrest.

Odom's family were the first to report they were told by police that he has been arrested, followed shortly thereafter by the Coeur d'Alene Police Department, which confirmed his arrest in Washington, DC. The Odom family released a short statement Tuesday evening:

"We are thankful for the safe apprehension of our son Kyle. As Kyle was not living with us, we are learning of his plans as they are being revealed by police. We are truly thankful to God he is safe and no one else has been injured. Please respect our family's privacy at this difficult time."

The family of Pastor Tim Remington have also been apprised of Odom's arrest. Remington's brother said they were "happy everyone is safe."

Odom, 30, has been the subject of an intense manhunt for the last two days since Remington was shot six times and critically wounded outside Altar Church in Coeur d'Alene following Sunday services.

Odom was in the church during the service and was later seen on surveillance video allegedly shooting Remington, pastor of the church.

White said that the second person whom Odom had allegedly plotted against at Altar Church was the associate pastor, Rev. John Padula. He was placed under protective custody as a precaution after authorities determined Odom was plotting against him.

In a Facebook post Tuesday afternoon, hours before he was reportedly taken into custody, Odom posted that he had shot Pastor Tim 12 times – Remington was hit six times – because he claimed he was a Martian who had ruined his life.

Authorities were able to track Odom through his use of social media, a law enforcement source told ABC News.

White added that Odom's social media posts also gave local law enforcement some insight into his psyche.

White, along with Kootenai County Prosecutor Barry McHugh, said Tuesday night there are several steps that will happen to get Odom back to Kootenai County to face an attempted murder charge.

First, the USSS will be investigating to determine what charges, if any, Odom will face for the fence line incident at the White House Tuesday evening that led to his arrest.

Once that investigation is completed and resolved in Washington, DC, Odom is facing an extraditable attempted murder charge in Kootenai County and would be transported back to Idaho to answer for that charge.

While Chief White said his detectives have a long way to go to build their case against Odom to send to McHugh, the rest of the community can breathe a sigh of relief with his capture.

"We'll all sleep a bit safer tonight," White said.