KOOTENAI COUNTY, Idaho - The Kootenai County Sheriff's Office arrested a repeat DUI offender for the seventh time Saturday.
Deputies were called to Hanley Avenue and Government Way just before 10 p.m. for a reckless driver who had reportedly nearly hit several vehicles and was all over the road. The Idaho State Police received a similar report of the same pickup on I-90 minutes before.
A sheriff's sergeant found the pickup speeding on Rude Street. When he tried to stop the driver, 54-year-old Paul A. Hendzel, the truck pulled into a resident's yard, spun around a tree and sped past the sergeant into a nearby driveway.
Hendzel got out of the truck, initially failing to comply with the sergeant's directions. Other deputies arrived and took Hendzel into custody.
Hendzel was booked into the Kootenai County Jail for a felony charge of excessive BAC (above .20) Driving Under the Influence. He's previously been booked into the Kootenai County Jail six times for DUI offenses since 1989.
On Monday a judge ordered Hendzel to be held in jail on a $100,000 bond.
- Kootenai County deputies arrest US Marshall fugitive for drug trafficking
- Ephrata man dies after collision near Quincy
- Man dead after fatal crash on US 95
- Ballots for November elections sent out
- Pot convictions could disappear for Kettle Falls Five
- Spokane Symphony honors the donors who kept the Fox Theater alive