COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Authorities in northern Idaho say damage to a bell at a memorial for veterans in Coeur d'Alene was an accident, not vandalism.
The Spokesman-Review reports that the 350-pound "Pappy's Bell" at the Veterans Memorial in McEuen Field shattered Oct. 22 when it fell after visitors tried to ring it.
Deputy City Administrator Sam Taylor says police found a video recording that shows a man and a woman trying to ring the bell. As they tried to ring it, the man looked underneath the bell for a clapper and the bell fell to the ground, breaking.
Taylor says no crime has occurred and authorities are not seeking the couple.
The city is working to make temporary repairs to the bell to get it back up for Veterans Day, Nov. 11.
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position