COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Authorities in northern Idaho say damage to a bell at a memorial for veterans in Coeur d'Alene was an accident, not vandalism.
The Spokesman-Review reports that the 350-pound "Pappy's Bell" at the Veterans Memorial in McEuen Field shattered Oct. 22 when it fell after visitors tried to ring it.
Deputy City Administrator Sam Taylor says police found a video recording that shows a man and a woman trying to ring the bell. As they tried to ring it, the man looked underneath the bell for a clapper and the bell fell to the ground, breaking.
Taylor says no crime has occurred and authorities are not seeking the couple.
The city is working to make temporary repairs to the bell to get it back up for Veterans Day, Nov. 11.
- Idaho prepares for slick roads with new de-icer
- Neighbors file lawsuit against Rocket Market
- Police searching for a man who exposed himself at Logan elementary
- City of Spokane readdressing east Spokane garbage routes
- Shadle Park HS student arrested for off-campus altercation
- Gonzaga falls from top spot in AP poll, Kansas moves to No. 1