SANDPOINT, Idaho - Northern Idaho officials have released the names of three Sandpoint police officers involved in a fatal shooting after responding to a report of a woman with a knife.
The Bonner County Sheriff's Office says that officers Skylar Ziegler, Michael Valenzuela and Garrett Johnson were involved in the July 8 shooting near Bonner General Hospital.
Det. Sgt. Gary Johnston tells the Bonner County Daily Bee that Johnson was undergoing field training at the time of the shooting.
Authorities didn't say which officer fired the round that struck 35-year-old Jeanetta Marie Riley in the chest.
Authorities say Riley refused commands to not approach officers and refused to drop a knife.
Johnston says the officers then used deadly force to stop the threat.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives