POST FALLS, Idaho - The Kootenai County Sheriff's office has identified the 12 officers from four different law enforcement agencies who were involved in the shooting of Marcus Rael on June 22, 2014.
After speeding away from a traffic stop in Coeur d'Alene, Rael led officers on a chase down westbound Interstate 90 that ended in Post Falls. After attempts to negotiate with him failed, Rael opened fire on law enforcement officers, who responded by returning fire. Rael was hit and wounded; no officers were injured.
The officers involved in the shooting have been identified as:
Idaho State Police
- Corporal J. Kagarice
Kootenai County Sheriff's Office
- Deputy P. Mead
- Deputy E. Hedlund
Post Falls Police
- Senior Officer B. Chapman
- Officer J. Mealer
- Senior Officer A. Sporleder
Coeur d'Alene Police
- Officer A. Wessel
- Officer J. Schneider
- Officer D. Taylor
- Officer N. Petersen
- Officer J. Noble
- Officer A. Tenney
The officers have more than 72 years of combined experience in law enforcement.
Rael, who was treated for injuries at Kootenai Health, has been transferred to the Kootenai County Jail, where he remains in custody.
The 12 officers involved in the shooting remain on paid administrative leave as the investigation is ongoing.
- Spokane family knows first hand high demand for behavioral health services
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up
- Local school district tackles '13 Reasons Why'