COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - A former Coeur d'Alene police detective has sued a police captain who crashed his vehicle into the detective's vehicle while both officers were off duty, resulting in injuries that ended the detective's law enforcement career.
The Coeur d'Alene Press reported Wednesday that Tracy L. Martin retired from the police department on Dec. 5 due to medical complications from the Feb. 1, 2011, accident.
According to the lawsuit, police Capt. Mike S. Calderwood rear-ended Martin as the two were leaving the police station after work. The complaint said Martin was at a stop waiting for traffic when Calderwood, who was distracted by his cell phone, hit the back end of Martin's car.
The complaint, filed in First District Court, seeks judgment in an amount to be proven at trial.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line