LEWISTON, Idaho - The Lewiston City Council has approved a voluntary ban on smoking in some public outdoor spaces.
The Lewiston Tribune reports the council voted 5-2 on Monday to approve the ordinance.
Lewiston Parks and Recreation Director Tim Barker says the city's health department will pay for signs asking people to use tobacco away from crowded areas.
Councilor Bob Blakey says there's a problem with people using tobacco in places where people gather.
Councilors who voted against the ordinance say a voluntary ban with no penalties for violators is pointless.
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car
- Don't leave valuable property in your car