OROFINO, Idaho - The Clearwater County Sheriff's Office has a man in custody following an overnight standoff Friday morning.
Just before midnight Thursday, police officers responded to a home near Rudo Road in Orofino.
Police were acting on information that a man had pointed a rifle at another person and fired several shots in their direction. The witness claimed he was suicidal.
Officers arrived and soon found themselves in a standoff with Randy Kester. He was outside the home saying he wanted to end his life in a shootout with police. He told officers he wanted to be shot or he would shoot them.
Police say after about an hour of negotiations, Kester approached the patrol vehicle, claiming he wanted to end his life. Deputies then deployed a taser and Kester was safely taken into custody.
He is being held at the Clearwater County Jail on counts of unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon, aggravated assault and a warrant from Asotin County.
- Zag fans face cold to catch final MBB home game
- Solid waste collectors and police collaborate to fight crime
- Spokane's beloved K9 Laslo retires
- City of Spokane tries new techniques to tackle potholes
- Waterless week for nearly 300 patrons in CDA
- Civic Theatre actor sentenced to prison for child molestation